Recipe by: Djoemira De Vette
Source: Cookbook “Het beste uit de Surinaamse keuken” – best of suriname cuisine
(Earth fruit with salted fish) – Surinamese Creole dish. Serve with green vegetables and pickles.
Her’heri, which is a mixture of boiled plantains, cassava, sweet potatoes and other edible tubers, smoked or salted fish.
- 500 gr salted fish (cod or bacalao)
- 2 garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 dl oil
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 fresh big chili
- Tapioca, sweet potatoes, ripe and green bananas (plantain) and (baby)yam
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Wash the fish and let it soak for ½ hrs in hot water and boil the fish until soft
- Peel the skin and bones
- Cut in small pieces
- Rinse and drain the fish again until all salt is gone.
- Heat oil and fry the fish half dry
- Use the same oil to sauté the chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes and paste, chili and selery.
- Add the fish and close the pan.
Instructions (earth fruit)
- Peel and boil tapioca, sweet potatoes and bananas until soft, with a pinch of salt.
- Cut these in pieces and put them in a serving plate surrounding the fish.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of heated coconut oil.
- Garnish with lettuce, cucumber and hardboiled eggs (optional).
Download PDF version here: surinamese-heri-heri-met-bakkeljauw-earth-fruit-with-salted-fish-djoemirah-de-vette