Recipe by: Nobuko Crawford
Source: Rika Yukimasa’s cook book ” Yappari Washoku”
- 2-3 cups fresh Japanese mushrooms
- 4-5 dried Shitake mushrooms
- 3 cups Japanese rice
- 1 sachet Dashi powder, see photo in attached PDF file
- 3 Tbsp Sake
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Japanese light soy sauce (Usukuchi-syouyu
- Handful of chopped coriander or spring onion/scallions for garnish
- Soak the dried Shitake mushrooms in water until soft (at least 30 mins). Do not discard the water.
- Wash the rice, changing the water 3-4 times until the water becomes clear.
- Put the rice in the pot and add 3 cups of water, including the water used for soaking the dried mushrooms.
- Add the Dashi powder, Sake, salt, light soy sauce, and all the mushrooms (rehydrated dried Shitake mushrooms and fresh) in the pot.
- Start heating until it boils then lower the heat.
- Cover with a lid tightly then leave for 15 mins to cook.
- In the last min, turn up to high heat so the excess water will evaporate.
- Mix the rice and the mushrooms gently and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with a green leaf such as chopped coriander or negi.
Download PDF here: Japanese Kinoko Takikomi Gohan (Mushroom Rice) Nobuko Crawford