Recipe by: Ange McCalmont
Source: Family Recipe
- 250gr Plain White Flour
- 250gr Wholemeal Flour
- 100gr Porridge Oats
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tsp Salt
- 25gr Butter cut into pieces
- 500ml Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200c/Gas mark 6
- Dust baking sheet with flour and line with baking paper.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Rub Butter into mix.
- Pour in Buttermilk and mix quickly with a knife, then bring dough together very lightly with fingertips and shape into a round loaf roughly 20cm in diameter.
- Put loaf on lined baking tray and score a cross on top with the back of a wet knife.
- Bake for 30-35mins until the bottom of loaf sounds hollow, if it doesn’t flip loaf over and cook for a few minutes more.
- Cool on a wire rack covered with a clean tea towel to allow crust to remain soft.
Download PDF here: Irish Soda Bread