Recipe by: Ange McCalmont
Source: From Amanda Powley & Philip Taylor: Terre a Terre – The Vegetarian Cookbook
- 150gr plain flour
- 75gr self-raising flour
- 10ml white wine vinegar
- 240 Cold Water
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Veggie Fish (buttermilk-soaked halloumi)
- 500gr Halloumi Cheese
- 500ml Buttermilk
- Plain Flour for coating
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- 900gr Potatoes (Maris Piper)
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 400gr Frozen Peas
- 40gr Mint, leaves and stalks separated, leaves chopped
- 40gr Parsley, leaves and stalks separated, leaves chopped
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Tartare Sauce with Nori
- 1 Nori Sheet
- 40g Parsley
- 100g Capers rinsed
- 100g Gherkins rinsed
- 100g Thai Pinks Shallots
- 150ml Mayonnaise
- 3 Lemons, peel and white pith removed, flesh cut into segments.
- 100ml Lemon Juice
- Peel from 3 preserved lemons
- 150g Caster Sugar
- Whisk all ingredients of the batter mix together to create a consistency of double cream. Keep refrigerated until needed.
- Carefully cut cheese into thin triangles (1 block should make 8)
- Submerge cheese in buttermilk and leave to soak for several hours/overnight in the fridge.
- Just before serving drain cheese and dip in a little plain flour, then coat well with batter.
- Heat oil in a deep pan (drop a small piece of bread into test, if it turns golden brown your good to go)
- Fry battered cheese two pieces at a time until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Preheat oven 200c/ gas 6
- Clean potatoes and cut into wedges, put into a large pan of salted boiling water and parboil for 8mins.
- Drain in colander and leave to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a roasting tray and coat with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30mins or until golden and crisp.
- In a pan of salted water, cook peas with herb stalks until tender.
- Drain well and discard stalks.
- Blend peas with chopped herbs and butter, season to taste.
- Hold Nori sheet briefly over a flame to heat both sides (no more than 2seconds as not to burn)
- Finely chop Nori, Parsley, Capers, Gherkins and Shallots and mix into mayo.
- Blend lemon flesh, juice and peel together at high speed in a blender.
- Then place in small pan with sugar and heat gently,stirring while sugar dissolves, then boil rapidly for 2mins.
- Leave to cool.
- Serve fish, mushy peas, potato wedges, tartare sauce and lemon pickle together.
Download PDF here: Irish Battered Veggie Fish with Mushy Peas and Sides