Recipe by: Ange McCalmont
Source: From BBC Goodfood, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com
Serves 1 x 500 ml jar
- 5-6 large red onions
- 1 red chili (or more depending on taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 100gr of brown sugar
- 75ml of balsamic vinegar
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- Cut onions and chili into short, thin slices.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions, chili and bay leaf and cook gently over a low heat for 1hour until onions are dark and sticky.
- Add sugar and both vinegars and simmer over a low heat for 1hour until chutney is thick and dark.
- Pour chutney whilst hot into a sterilized jar, pack down to avoid air bubbles.
Download PDF here: British Caramelized Red Onion Chutney