Recipe by: Aparna Balasubramaniam
Source: Adapted from Ina Garten Food Network
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 225 gms unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 225 gms aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
- 6-8 chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
- 2 minced fresh jalapeno peppers.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don’t overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Download PDF here: Mexican Jalapeno Chive Cornbread