Recipe by: Nadine Dietl-Augst
Source: Lutz Geissler, Brot backen in Perfektion mit Sauerteig
For 1 kg loaf
- 150 gr potatoes (boiled, peeled, mashed)
- 450 gr bread flour (wheat)
- 50 gr rye flour
- 320 gr water
- 11 gr salt
- 15 g sourdough starter
- Boil the potatoes in water until soft. Peel and mash them after cooling.
- Mix all ingredients together to form a smooth dough.
- Protect the dough with a cover, a lid or a plastic wrap from drying out. Let it rest for 24 hours at room temperature (18-20 ° C). In between, once every 2-8 hours and after 12-18 hours stretch and fold.
- Place the dough on a work surface covered with flour and gently form into a ball. The air in the dough should be preserved. Place with the smooth side on top in a floured bowl or in a floured fermenting basket.
- Let it rest (covered with a damp cloth) for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat oven 230°C.
- Put the dough into a preheated cast iron pot and bake with lid on at 230 ° C for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack.
Note: Depending on the type of potato, the dough softens differently. Therefore, use a little less water first and add more if the dough is too firm.
Download PDF here: German Potato Sourdough Bread