Recipe by: Nadine Dietl-Augst
Source: Katharina Seiser, Deutschland vegetarisch
- 30 gr fresh yeast (or 1 sachet dried yeast)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml water, lukewarm
- 5 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 350 gr all-purpose flour (+ some extra flour)
- 1 kg white onions
- 3 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 200 ml apple juice
- 2 eggs
- 100 gr mature cheese, grated
- 200 gr sour cream
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Fresh Marjoram
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water with the sugar. Add sunflower oil and salt to the flour and mix it with the yeast to a smooth dough. Knead it firmly on a floured surface for 5 minutes.
Let the dough rest in a plastic bowl covered with lid in the fridge overnight (this will make it nice and smooth and fine-pored, the preparation is well worth it.)
- For the filling, cut onions into thin strips. Heat 3 Tbsp of sunflower oil in a pan. Add onions with caraway, season with salt, pepper and 1 Tbsp of sugar and cook tender for 15 minutes over medium heat. Deglaze with apple juice and boil briefly until the liquid has evaporated. Set the filling aside and allow to cool (also possible to prepare one day in advance and keep in the fridge overnight).
- Whisk the eggs with sour cream and potato flour and add it with the grated cheese to the chilled onions. Add marjoram leaves and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out to a rectangle of about 30×45 cm on a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet with baking paper and form an edge all around. Pour onion mixture all over the dough.
- Bake at preheated oven at 200-220 °C on the first rail from below 25-30 minutes. Serve hot or cold with fresh marjoram leaves.
Download recipe here: German Onion Cake