Recipe by: Sue Chung
Source: Sue Chung’s mother
- 8 pieces of chicken thighs, bone in
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 Tbsp Korean dark soy sauce (see photo)
- 2 Tbsp plum essence (Maesil – see photo)
- 3 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar or more to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 3 Tbsp water
- Toasted sesame seeds (see photo), to garnish
- Sliced red chili, to garnish
- Fry chicken thighs in a little bit of oil until skin is golden brown.
- In the meantime mix all of the other ingredients to make the sauce.
- Put the chicken on a piece of kitchen towel to let is absorb excessive fat.
- Place chicken into a big pot and pour sauce evenly over each piece of chicken.
- Cover and let simmer until chicken is done and liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chili slices.
Download PDF here. There are more photos (of the Korean ingredients) than in this blog post here. South Korean Chicken Braised in Soy Sauce and Garlic