Recipe by: Evania Marler
Source: adapted http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/rhubarb-chocolate-tart/25654e09-8559-4bcf-a625-455c5e6c226e
Ingredients for Pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- 80 g icing sugar
- 110 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
Ingredients for Rhubarb Filling
- 6 stalks rhubarb, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
Ingredients for Almond Filling
- 150 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 65 g cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 60 g chocolate hazelnut spread
- 130 g almond meal
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- Icing sugar to dust
- To make the pastry, place flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk and water and process until mixture forms dough.
- Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20mins.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick. Ease into a 3cm-deep, 23cm loose-based tart pan. Trim excess pastry. Refrigerate for 20mins.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice.
- Bake for 15mins. Remove paper and weights and bake for another 12mins or until dry. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the rhubarb, brown sugar and water in a bowl.
- Set aside, stirring occasionally, for 5mins.
- For the Almond Filling use an electric mixer to beat butter and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread until well combined, and then stir in the almond meal and flour.
- Drain the rhubarb mixture and scatter half over the tart shell.
- Top with the filling mixture and spread with a spatula.
- Arrange the remaining rhubarb mixture on top.
- Bake for 30-35mins or until set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar or ice-cream.
Download PDF here: Australian Rhubarb & Chocolate Tart