Recipe by: Evania Marler
Source: Own Recipe
Makes approximately 50-60 cookies, depending on size
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 150g Plain Flour
- 75g Caster Sugar
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch Salt
- 100ml Corn Oil, or other flavourless oil (you may need a little more/less oil depending on the climate you are in)
- 1 Egg Yolk, beaten
- Sieve the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into bowl.
- Add the ground almonds to the flour/sugar mixture.
- Slowly trickle in the oil into the bowl containing the flour/sugar/almonds. Mix until a cohesive dough forms. You may need more or less oil depending on the humidity/moisture levels – the aim is to reach a dough which is just able to hold its shape (and doesn’t crumble) when you attempt to roll it into a ball.
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll the dough into ~2.5cm balls, and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper/a silpat mat. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly glaze the tops of the cookie balls with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake for 15-20minutes or until the cookies become slightly golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, and then tuck in.
Download PDF here: Chinese New Year Almond Cookies Evania Marler Jan 19 2018