Recipe by: Eety Kiran
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 cups (~2.5 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Granny Smith apple or favorite variety of apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Optional: handful of feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter saponin coating.
- In a small pot combine the quinoa and chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water. I always use chicken broth with the quinoa, but if you are vegetarian the other two will work great.
- Follow package directions to cook the quinoa.
- Meanwhile, add the sliced almonds and sunflower seeds in a single layer to a completely dry skillet (don’t add any oil) and place on medium-high heat (don’t want it too hot or they will burn). Stir the nuts and seeds every 15 seconds for about 1-2 minutes or until the colour slightly darkens and they start to smell good. Watch these carefully as they can go from perfectly toasted to burned quickly!
- Chop up the apple (peel if desired, I like to leave it on) and toss it with the lemon juice.
- Remove the quinoa and allow to completely cool (I put it in the fridge).
- Mix together the spinach, dried cranberries, chopped apple, and completely cooled quinoa.
- Toss with the dressing (use as much or as little as desired; you’ll likely have a bit extra to use on another salad!) and top with the toasted almonds and sunflower seeds. If desired, add in some feta cheese or another cheese you enjoy!
- To make the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in an immersion blender or small food processor. I start with 1 tablespoon of sugar and add more if needed. Taste and adjust to personal preference (more sugar, more jam, salt or pepper added, etc.)
Download PDF here. There are more photos in this PDF than this blog post here. Almond Apple Quinoa Salad – Sweety Kiran