Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Source: Family Recipe
- 500 g ground beef
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, grated
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil, for brushing the pan
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with the lemon juice to activate it.
- Knead ground meat well with salt, bicarbonate of soda and the water. Cover and put it in the fridge and let rest for at least 12h.
- Next day, 2-3h before cooking, add grated onion, parsley, cumin, black pepper. Knead for 5-7 min. Cover and put back in the fridge and let it rest until it’s time to cook.
- Take 2 walnut sized pieces of ground meat and roll into small balls, and press slightly in between your palms, or give a fat finger shape. Or put the ground meat around a bamboo stick.
- You can either grill them or cook on a non-stick grill pan. Brush the pan with some oil, put the koftes on it and cook both sides.
If using wooden sticks, soak them in water to avoid it burning on the grill.
Download PDF version here: Sibel Cinar – Turkish Kofte (Meatballs)