Recipe by: Tracey Clark
Source: based upon Gordon Ramsey’s Ultimate Home Cooking
Serves: 6 – 8
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 Kg Minced beef or Lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways and finely sliced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1-2 tbsp. Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 100ml Red wine
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Rosemary sprigs, leaves only, chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
For the Topping
- 750g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g butter
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 100g-cheddar cheese, grated
- 50-100ml milk [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas 4. Place a large, wide frying pan or hob-proof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add a dash of oil and fry the mince in batches, seasoning each lot, until well browned. Add the garlic for the last 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Put a little more oil in the same pan and cook the onion, leeks and carrots over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until completely softened. Add Worcester sauce to taste, then stir in the tomatoes puree.
- Return the mince to the pan and stir well. Pour in the wine, scraping up any bits from the bottom. Bubble for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol, then add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then add the rosemary and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has reduced slightly and the flavors are well combined.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain and mash until smooth. Mix in the butter and seasoning, then add the spring onions and three quarters of the cheese and mix again. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. If the mash is too dry add a splash of milk to loosen.
- Put the meat mixture into a 28x22cm-baking dish and top with mashed potato. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the potato is golden brown and the meat is bubbling underneath, and serve.
Download PDF version here: Tracey Clark Sheperds Pie With Cheese Champ Topping