Recipe by: Pujan Rai
Source: Blog bakeforhappykids.com
- 180ml Vegetable Oil or Butter, soften/melted
- 150gr Caster Sugar
- 180ml Evaporated Milk, regular
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ tsp. Vanilla Extract or Paste
- 150gr All Purpose or Plain Flour
- 50gr Cocoa Powder, good quality
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. BakingSoda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 4 tbsp. Espresso
Ingredients Gooey Cocoa Glaze
- 1/4 cup (25gr) Cocoa Powder, sifted
- 200gr Condensed Milk (regular not fat reduced)
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract or Paste
Instructions – how to make the Cake
- Grease the inside of your cake pan and line the bottom of the pan with a piece of baking paper. Set up a large steamer or large pot with boiling water.
- Add oil /butter, sugar and evaporated milk in a large saucepan. Place the saucepan over a low heat and mix mixture while cooking until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth. Remove saucepan from the heat. Allow mixture to cool until it is nearly like room temperature or cool enough to touch. (you can put it in freeze to speed up the process)
- Add eggs (lightly beaten) and vanilla into the oil/butter mixture and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients -flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sieve flour mixture into the oil mixture and whisk until all are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add espresso and mix gently.
- Please note that the cake batter will be runny.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and place the pan into the steamer. Cover pan with a large piece of baking paper so that the water vapour from the steam won’t wet the cake batter. Steam with medium low heat for 60 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the steamer and allow it to cool completely in the pan before removing it onto a wire rack. It is important to wait for the cake to cool completely before pouring the glaze on it.
Download PDF version here:Pujan Rai – Steamed Chocolate Cake