Recipe by: Tamlyn Kim
Source: Family recipe
- 1kg pork back ribs, cut into large chunks (ribs separated in pieces)
- 2 carrots, sliced 1.5 inch chunks
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 Chinese leek (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 onion, roughly sliced
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 80 g sugar
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1Tbsp sesame oil (before serving)
To Prepare the Galbi (Ribs)
- Soak the ribs in cold water for 30min up to 2hrs to draw out blood and impurities and change the water frequently. Drain well.
- Trim off any excess fat. Then lightly score the meat diagonally to allow the marinade to penetrate through the meat.
To cook the Galbi Jjim
- Put ribs in a large pot and enough water to cover it, and boil for 5mins(Blanch the ribs). Drain the liquid and wash the ribs to remove excess fat/blood/bone fragments.
- Put the ribs in the same pot after wash, add water until covers, and boil on a high flame. Meanwhile, in a small bowl make sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients listed above. Pour half of the sauce (the rest will be added later to give more flavor) and cover the lid, cook for 20 min on a high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for another 40 min. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
- Add the vegetables, and cook another 15-20 min in low heat. When it’s almost done, add the rest of sauce and the sesame oil.
- To Serve
- Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve hot and eat with rice and side dishes/Kimchi.
Download PDF version here: South Korean Galbi Jjim (Braised Pork Back Rib) Tamlyn Kim