Recipe by: Jo Osman
Source: Family Recipe
- 1/3 pack of unsalted butter
- Approx 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 L milk
- 1 pack strong/vintage cheddar cheese, approx 200 g
- Mustard powder, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper, approx ½ tsp
- Large cauliflower – washed and cut into similar sized florets, approx 450 g
- Sour cream and onion crisps
Preheat oven to 200 C (392 F).
- Steam cauliflower florets, ensuring that they don’t overcook and become mushy – they should still be al dente – rinse in cold water to stop them continuing to steam. Drain, and place in a deep oven dish, spread out across the bottom.
- Melt butter in microwave, then add flour one spoonful at a time and stir until you have a paste. Then add milk slowly, stirring each time until it blends, until all milk has been added.
- Cover and put in microwave on maximum temp for 3 minutes, then stir with a whisk. Continue to cook, stirring every 3 minutes, until the sauce becomes thicker and smooth (it may go through a lumpy stage but will then smooth out again).
- Stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste, plus most of the cheese (save a little for sprinkling on top).
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower in the dish, and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Optional: open a bag or two of sour cream and onion crisps, and holding the top closed, squash the bag until all crisps are crushed into tiny pieces – sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower cheese to add crunch.
Download PDF version here: British Cauliflower Cheese Jo Osman