Recipe by: Naoko Nama
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 4 thick sushi rolls or 10 thin sushi rolls
- 540ml (3 Rice Cups) Rice, short grain
- 540ml Water
- 10cm Kobu Seaweed
Ingredients for Rice Seasoning (Normal Type)
- 4 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
Ingredients for Rice Seasoning (Sugar-Free Type)
- 2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp.Dashi Stock (Kobu & Bonito)
- 1 Tbsp. Mirin (Sweet Sake)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Wipe kobu seaweed with wet paper.
- Place rice and kobuin a pot and add water. Allow the rice to set for about 30 minutes.
- Cook over high heat for 5 minutes until it starts bubbling, then lower the heat and simmer for about 9 minutes.
- Remove the kobu seaweed and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the rice seasoning: mix the ingredients in a jar and shake well to dissolve the sugar completely for the Normal Type option.
- If you are making the Sugar-Free Type option, place all the seasoning ingredients in a saucepan and put over moderate heat and bring to a boil, let it boil for a few minutes.
- Place the cooked rice into a bowl (or a Japanese Moistened Wooden Tub, if you have one) and slowly pour the vinegar mixture over the rice indirectly and evenly by using a wooden rice paddle. Mix the rice gently with the paddle using cutting strokes while fanning the surface.
- Cover with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying up, and set aside.
Download PDF version here: Japanese Vinegared Rice Naoko Hama