Recipe by: Daphne Schieveen
Ingredients (Meat Sauce)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 900 g (2 lbs) ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup chopped olives
- 425 g (15 oz) seasoned tomato sauce
Ingredients (Eggplant and Potatoes)
- 900 g (2 lbs) eggplant
- Olive oil to brush
- 2-3 potatoes (cut into ¼ inch thick rounds)
Ingredients (Bechamel Sauce)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot milk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Sauté finely ground meat, onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add oregano, basil, cinnamon, salt, ripe olives and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer slowly about 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer slowly another 30 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, prepare béchamel sauce. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat, whisk in flour and cook slowly until smooth and lightly cooks (2-3 minutes). Add salt and remove from heat. Add milk, whisking rapidly and return to heat. Cook until thick and bubbly, whisking constantly, allow to cool 5 minutes, Whisking once in a while to prevent a skin from forming, incorporate eggs and grated cheese with wire whisk to make a fluffy sauce.
- Prepare the eggplant; cut ends from the eggplant (1 large or 2 small) and cut in ½ inch thick slices. Place on a baking sheet and brush with remaining olive oil. Place under grill and grill until light brown. Remove from the oven, salt lightly, turn eggplant and repeat process.
- Position rack in the center of oven and heat to 180 C (350 F).
- There are three ways you can prepare the potatoes. The first way is to shallow-fry potato rounds in olive oil until golden brown, the second way it to bake them in a baking pan lightly brushed with olive oil for 15 minutes. This way is with fewer calories. The third way is the most healthiest way, parboil them for 8 minutes and drain well on paper towels.
- Arrange layers of potatoes in a baking dish, overlapping slightly, season lightly. Put a layer of eggplant on top of it, sprinkle with some parmesan, cheddar and bread crumbs. Then a layer of meat sauce, grated cheese, crumbs and béchamel sauce. Bake 45-50 minutes at 180 C (350 F) or until it is golden brown.
Download PDF here. There are more photos in this PDF. Greek Moussaka