Recipe by: Siti Wilden
Source: adapted from http://www.thaitable.com
Ingredients (Chicken Curry)
- 500 g chicken breast/fillet cut in cubes
- 1 thinly sliced chili pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 Tbsp green curry paste* (recipe below)
- 6-7 quartered eggplants
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- 3 sprigs Thai basil
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp oil
Ingredients (Green Curry Paste)
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ½ cup sliced shallots
- 3–4 Tbsp sliced lemongrass from 2 lemongrass stalks
- 1½ Tbsp galangal
- 1 Tbsp sliced cilantro roots
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- ¼ cup garlic
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 10-15 green Thai chilli peppers (depending on you r heat preference)
- A bunch of Thai mint leaves (Thai Basil)
- 1 Tbsp salt
Instructions (Chicken Curry)
- In a pot, heat oil and throw in lemongrass, galangal and ginger and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the curry paste and stir further. Pour half of the coconut milk. Mix well
- Keep stirring to prevent the bottom from sticking and burning. Lower heat if necessary
- Keep stirring until you see greenish oil form.
- Add chicken into the curry mixture. Stir to coat the chicken for a couple minutes, until it is partially cooked.
- Add the eggplants. Stir more.
- Add the rest of coconut milk and 1 cup of water.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the seasonings; fish sauce and sugar. Taste for the balance flavors, salty with a hint of sweet.
- Add the slivers of red chili pepper and kaffir lime leaves. Let it boil one more time.
- When you are ready to serve, add the Thai basil. Stir to mix the basil in and immediately turn off the heat to keep the basil green. Quickly pour onto serving bowl.
- Serve with rice or thin rice noodles
Instructions (Green Curry Paste)
Note that this Green Curry Paste can be made ahead and can be frozen for future use.
- Dry fry or toast the coriander, peppercorns and cumin in a pan until light brown. Let them cool.
- Slice shallots, lemongrass, galangal and cilantro roots into small pieces.
- Slice thinly or grate the kaffir lime zest, about 1 tablespoon.
- Grind the dry roasted spices into a powder.
- Grind all other ingredients except for the salt.
- Add the dry powder and salt, and stir well.
Download PDF here. More photos are in the PDF than in the blog itself. Thai Green Chicken Curry Siti Wilden