Recipe by: Siti Wilden
Source: Siti’s mom
Makes 20 patties
- 800g – 1 kg of potatoes
- 250 g minced (ground) beef
- 1 tsp of coriander powder (optional)
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped Chinese celery
- 2 Tbsp fried shallot
- Salt to taste
- 1–2 eggs beaten for coating before frying
- some cooking oil for frying the meat and for frying the patties
- Deep-fry the potato slices in batches until golden brown and drain on kitchen towels.
- Place the fried potato slices in a mortar and pestle and mash till fine. You may have to do this in batches.
- In a separate frying pan, heat 2 Tbsp oil (you can reuse the oil from frying the potatoes).
- Tip in the minced beef and cook, add a dash of salt, stirring to break up the meat, until cooked through.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, beef, pepper, herbs, shallots and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well to combine, and then shape the potato into bite-size balls.
- Heat oil to a depth of 3 cm in a wok or frying pan (you can reuse the of from frying the potatoes).
- Dip the potato balls in the beaten eggs, then lower into the hot oil. Drain well on kitchen towels.
Download PDF here. There are more photos in this PDF. Singaporean Minced Beef and Potato Patties (Begedil)