Recipe by: Daniela Romão
Source: Family Recipe (From Daniela Romão’s Grandma)
- 3 medium sized turnips (320 g), peeled and diced into cubes
- 2- 3 large russet potatoes (420 g), peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 medium sized white onions (220 g), peeled and diced into cubes
- 4 large carrots (420 g),peeled and diced into 3 cm ( 1.2 inches) cubes
- 6 C (1 ½ liters) water
- 2 medium sized white or savoy cabbages (680 g), roughly cut into strips
- 1 ½ c (320 g), cooked cannellini beans
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Olive oil to taste
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the turnips, potatoes, onions and carrots to the pot. Decrease the heat to a simmer, add the salt and cook, covered, from 15 to 20 mins, or until the vegetables are tender.
- With the help of an immersion blender, purée all the ingredients until totally smooth – you’re looking for a creamy and slightly thick broth here. Have a taste and add a bit more salt if necessary.
- Now, add the cabbage strips to the pot and cook for additional 5 mins, or until the cabbage is cooked through but still holding some texture.
- When the cabbage is cooked, turn off the heat and add the cooked cannelini beans to the soup.
- Serve the soup in bowls and drizzle a little olive oil over each serving. Perfect along with a good slice of crusty bread.
Download PDF here: Portuguese Cabbage Soup Daniela Romão