Recipe by: Lamya Bhatri Ebrahim
Source: family recipe
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 large can (400 g) tomato paste
- 1¼ cups fried onions or shallots
- 1½ Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ cup oil
- 10 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1½ Tbsp cumin powder
- 1½ Tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala (optional)
- 2½ tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup coriander leaves chopped fine
- Wash beef mince well in a fine sieve till water runs clear. Drain water well.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker/thick bottomed pan
- Add peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, green chilli and fry till fragrant.
- Then add in cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala and ginger garlic paste. Add tomato paste right after and sauté the mixture well.
- Add in fried onion and fry for another 5-10 mins, or till oil separates and floats on top.
- Add the beef mince into the tomato/onion/spice mix. Add salt to taste.
- If using a pressure cooker, add ½ cup water. Add frozen peas and put the lid on. Let it cook – one big whistle and then turn the flame down and cook for another 15 mins.
- If cooking in a pot, cover and let it simmer and add water as required making sure the bottom doesn’t burn. Add in peas and let it cook till the beef and peas are done.
- Add in coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with crusty bread or parathas.
Download PDF here: Indian Beef Kheema