Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
Source: Raymond Blanc, “100 Recipes for Entertaining”
Ingredients (Sweet Pastry)
- 120 g (4½ oz) butter, at room temperature, diced
- 75 g (3 oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3 egg yolks, divided
- 250 g (9 oz) flour
- 2 Tbsp water
Ingredients (Lemon Cream Filling)
- 5 eggs
- 150 g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 85 ml (3 oz) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons, squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 150 ml (2/3 cups) double cream
- A few small mint leaves
Instructions (Making the Sweet Pastry Dough)
- Grease a 26 cm (10 in) removable bottom tart tin.
- Add the softened butter and the icing sugar to a bowl. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix well to form a cream.
- Beat in two of the egg yolks.
- Add in the flour and use your fingertips to crumble the mixture together.
- Add in the water and work with your hands until you can form a ball out of the dough. Do not overwork. Transfer to a floured surface and knead the dough ever so slightly (no more than 30 seconds), adding a bit more flour if necessary, until the ball comes together and is not sticking to the surface.
- Place the dough on a sheet of cling film and flatten slightly to a disc shape.
- Encase the entire dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 mins. This helps ensure the dough will not shrink while baking.
Instructions (Lemon Cream Filling)
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, caster sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk together for a few seconds, until all the ingredients mix well.
- Whisk in the cream, then place in the fridge to chill.
Instructions (Shaping and Re-Chilling the Sweet Pastry Dough)
- Remove the Sweet Pastry dough from the fridge and place on a floured surface.
- Roll out to the size of the tart tin.
- Transfer to the tart tin (wrapping the dough around the rolling pin is an easy way to do this).
- Push the dough into the tart tin to ensure a snug fit.
- Use your fingers or a fork to create decorative trim to the edge of the tart dough,
- Prick the base of the dough all over with a fork.
- Return the pastry, now in the tin, to the fridge to chill for an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160 C (325 F).
Instructions (Blind Baking the Sweet Pastry Crust)
- Remove the pastry in the tin from the fridge and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While it is baking, beat the third egg yolk.
- After the 30 mins, remove the pastry from the oven, brush with the beaten egg and return to the oven to bake for one further minute.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and turn the temperature down to 140 C (275 F).
Instructions (Baking the Tart)
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the Lemon Cream Filling (be careful not to cook the eggs).
- Fill the pre-baked Sweet Pastry crust with the warmed Lemon Cream Filling and bake for 25 minutes, until barely set.
- Remove the tart from the oven and let sit for at least one hour.
- Dust a bit of icing sugar on top for decoration, garnish with a few mint leaves and serve.
Download PDF here. More photos are in this PDF than in this blog post. French Lemon Tart