Recipe by: Jenny Blom
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1½ tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- A handful of bread crumbs
- 200 g (1¾ sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 250 ml (1¼ cup) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 205 g (scant 1¾ cup) wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Frosting (see above)
- Candied orange peel (or Redman mixed citrus orange peel), for topping
- In a box, add the icing sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- Grease the cake form with butter then sprinkle a thin layer of (European) bread crumbs on the bottom of the form.
- Mix the butter and sugar, then add the eggs, one at the time, while stirring.
- Add the wheat flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl, and then add to the bowl containing the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- Stir and put the dough into the form and put it in the preheated oven on the lowest rack.
- Bake for about 45 minutes; it is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- When cake is ready and has cooled, spread the frosting on top and sprinkle with candied orange peel (or Redman mixed citrus peel).
Download PDF here: Swedish Ambrosia Cake