Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
- 3 medium aubergines (or equivalent amount in smaller aubergines), cut into 2cm slices
- 2 Tbsp of pine nuts, dry toasted
- A handful of pomegranate seeds
- 20 basil leaves
- Coarse sea salt, to season
- Freshly ground black pepper, to season
Ingredients (Saffron Yogurt)
- 2 large pinches saffron threads
- 3 Tbsp hot water
- 180 g Greek yoghurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ Tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Instructions (Saffron Yogurt)
Note: The saffron yogurt can be made well in advance and it will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for about five minutes till it has a yellow colour. Pour into a bowl with the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and some salt.
- Whisk together till it’s a smooth, golden yellow sauce and leave in the fridge till ready to serve.
- Pre heat oven to 220 C (430 F).
- Place the aubergine slices onto a baking tray or casserole dish and brush with olive oil on both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 20-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Arrange the aubergines on a serving dish.
- Drizzle with the saffron yogurt and sprinkle the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds on top.
- Garnish with the basil leaves.
Download PDF here (more photos in this PDF): Middle Eastern Grilled Aubergines with Saffron Yogurt, Pomengranate Seeds and Pine Nuts