Recipe by: Shuri Schnyder
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water*
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- To make the teriyaki sauce, add water, soy sauce, mirin and sugar into a bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Cube chicken. Pour cornstarch into a bowl, add chicken and coat.
- Add oil to frying pan, heat until hot, then add chicken, flipping to expose all sides to hot surface of pan.
- When exterior cooked, add teriyaki sauce, bring to a boil, then cook on low for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of cooking, check the flavor. If too salty and strong, add more water. If you prefer a sweeter taste, add more sugar.
* water instead of sake to make it ‘child friendly’
Download PDF version here: Shuri Schnyder – Japanese Chicken Teriyaki