Recipe by: Catia Camillini
Source: Family Recipe
- 100gr Sultanas, big yellow
- 60ml Dark Rum
- 20ml Water
- 75gr Top Flour
- 100gr Plain Flour
- 16gr Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 115gr unsalted Butter, melted
- 140 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- 3 medium Bananas, mashed
- less than a ¼ teaspoon Banana extract flavour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- NOTE: All the ingredients at room temperature.
- Place the sultanas, the liquor and the water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Let the liquid dry slowly, switch off the fire and let the sultanas absorb the rest of the liquid. Then drain if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Put the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt in a medium-sized bowl and combine well.
- In a large bowl mix the melted butter and sugar and beat until blended.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Then add the mashed bananas, the vanilla extract and the banana flavour.
- Then, stir in drained sultanas.
- Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, stirring well after each bit.
- Scrape into a loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, but at 45minutes start following it, depending on the oven it could cook faster.
- Insert a toothpick or fine skewer, it should come out clean.
- Leave in the tin on a rack to cool, and eat thickly or thinly sliced.
Download PDF version here: Catia Camillini Banana Bread with Rum and Sultanas