Recipe by: Carolina Tautiva
Source: Family recipe
Serves: Makes 32 small pastries
- 1 packet of frozen pastry (used Pampas Brand)
- 200 g minced beef
- 2-3 big russet potatoes
- 1 big yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, watery center removed and finely chopped
- ¼ red capsicum, very finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Boil the peeled potatoes in salted water or chicken stock.
- Pan fry the onion in a bit of olive oil until gold. Add spring onion, capsicum and tomatoes, and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Pan fry the minced beef in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add salt and pepper. While cooking, separate the pieces of minced with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cooked vegetables gravy and the coriander.
- Roughly mash the potatoes leaving some small chunks. Mix with minced beef.
- Cut the puff pastry in small circles. Put it on your hand and add a teaspoon of the minced mixture.
- Seal firmly, using 2 fingers only.
- Freeze it for 30 min if you want to have crusty empanadas then fry in hot oil or for a healthy best result, “fry” in a airfryer without any oil.
Can be made in advance and frozen.
Download PDF version here: Carolina Tautiva – Colombian Empanadas Criollas