Recipe by: Carolina Tautiva
Source: Family recipe
This rice is usually served as side dish with fried fish, plantain and salad
- 1 can ( 400 ml) coconut milk or fresh coconut milk
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (demerara or muscovado)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 100 g raisins (optional)
- In a saucepan cook the coconut milk over medium heat, until slightly caramelized. You must keep mixing the coconut milk with a wooden spoon in order to avoid the coconut milk attaching or burning. The quantity will reduce to just a couple of tablespoons and the final colour should be beige-brown.
- Add the raisins and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, rice and leave for a few moment until fried a little
- Add the water and cover with lid and let it sweat a little over low heat.
- Then stir gently and add the coconut oil (this will help to keep the rice soft)
- Leave for 10 min over low heat and then turn off
- Cover with lid till desired consistency.
Download PDF version here: Carolina tautiva – Colombian Coconut Rice