Recipe by: Lorraine Graybill
Source: Causing a Stir, Dayton, OH Junior League, 2000
- 10 medium or 5-7 large Australian or American sweet potatoes, peeled
- 6 eggs
- 100-200 g (½-1 cup) granulated sugar (based on preference)
- ~120 ml (½ cup) milk
- 3 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 65 g (½ cup) chopped pecans
- 30 g (¼ cup) flour
- 2 ½ Tbsp butter
- 100g (½ cup) brown sugar
Can be prepared 8 hours ahead and refrigerated before baking. Potatoes may be boiled the day ahead and kept refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 325oF (165oC).
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, drain well.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer. Add eggs, granulated sugar, milk, vanilla and 4 tablespoons of butter. Beat until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart (2 litre) casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, flour and 2 ½ tablespoons of butter and brown sugar to make a topping. Sprinkle evenly over potato mixture.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until set.
Download PDF version here: American Sweet Potato Souffle Lorraine Graybill