Recipe by: Rachna Kulshrestha
Source: Family Recipe
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 5 cloves / lavang
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 star anise / chakr phool
- 1 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 10 black pepper / kali mirch
- 3 cardamom / elachi
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green chili, slit lengthwise
- 1 cup peas / matar, fresh / frozen
- salt to taste
- Soak basmati rice for at least 30 mins. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan or a rice cooker, heat ghee and add cumin seeds.
- Add cloves, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon stick, black pepper and cardamom
- Sauté till they turn aromatic. Add and sauté onions till they turn translucent.
- Sauté green chili and add green peas and sauté well. either add fresh or frozen peas.
- Add basmati rice and sauté gently.
- Add salt, approximately 4 cups of water and mix well.
- Cover the pan/cooker and let it cook.
Download PDF version here: Indian Peas Pulao Rachna Kulshreshtha