Recipe by: Meena Trakru
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 kg Boneless Mutton or Lamb in Cubes
- ¼ kg Mutton or Lamb Bones
- 2 Tbsp. Asafetida Water (1 inch Asafetida piece and 1/2 cup add water left in the fridge for 2 days)
- 3 Tbsp. Yogurt whipped by hand
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 4-6 Cloves
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3-5 Green Cardamom, Ground
- 3 Black Cardamom, Ground
- 30 Whole Black Pepper, Ground
- 6 Tbsp. Fennel Powder
- 1-3 Tbsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Ginger Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander Powder
- Warm oil in a pot on medium heat. Add cloves and Black Cardamom and fry for 1 minute. Add whole black pepper and fry for 1 minute, add bay leaves and green cardamom and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the Asafetida water to the pot and cover with lid as oil may sputter. Let it cook for 1 minute and then add the Mutton or Lamb Bones, mix well and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the boneless meat and let it fry for about 20-30 minutes turning often to make sure the meat does not stick to the pan. The meat will release water and you need to dry the water out. Once the water is dried, the meat will release oil. If you feel the meat is dry, add 1 Tbsp. oil. Let the meat braise in the oil until the outside is semi-dark (not blackish/burned type).
- Add dry seasoning to the Meat. Then add the Yogurt and mix well. Take the pan off the heat while mixing in yogurt. Mix well and add 4 cups of water to this mixture. Take off the seasoning from bottom of pan by scraping it off to add flavor to the meat.
- Turn the heat to medium and let the meat boil. Once the gravy is boiling turn heat down to low-medium and let it cook for another 30-40 minutes. Ensure the water doesn’t evaporate completely.
Download PDF version here: Indian Lamb Roghan Josh Meena Trakru