Recipe by: Rachna Kulshrestha
Source: Family Recipe
- 1 ½ cup dried whole black urad dal (black lentils)
- ½ cup dried kidney beans (rajma)
- 3 cups water / milk for pressure cooking
- Salt to taste
- 1 – 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup water, or as required
- 2 tbsp fresh cream, optional
- Few coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 generous pinch hing/asafoetida
- ¾ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ garam masala (optional)
- Soak black lentils and kidney beans in a large bowl filled with water
- Rinse the dal under running water and transfer to a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water or milk. Add salt.
- Close the lid and pressure cooker and cook on medium flame for 5 whistles, or until the lentil is cooked completely.
- In a large pan, add a tbsp of ghee and sauté bay leaf for a minute, or until they turn fragrant.
- Then add finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smells disappear.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes/ tomato puree and cook until softened. Note: Tomato puree gives more colour and depth to lentils)
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder and salt to taste. Cook the masalas for a minute. Once the masalas start releasing oils from the side, add the cooked lentils & beans and mix well to combine.
- Adjust the consistency of the dal by adding 1 cup of water, if required.
- Boil for another 15 mins until the dal absorbs flavour and thickens.
- To get the creamy mixture, stir in 2 tbsp fresh cream, or if you can omit or increase the amount of cream, to your liking.
Download PDF version here: Indian Dal Makhani Rachna Kulshrestha