Recipe by: Tanya Watts
Source: Adapted from The Good Life by Sally Obermeder and Maha Koraiem
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 leeks washed and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp plain (all purpose) flour
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) chicken stock
- 200 g (7oz) button mushrooms
- 1 medium baked chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF)
- Melt 2 tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek, stirring until it begins to soften. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and stir until the mixture thickens.
- In a separate pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms until golden. Add the shredded chicken, the leek mixture and the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
- Line a pie dish with one sheet of puff pastry. Fill with the chicken mixture.
- Place the 2nd sheet of puff pastry on top and tuck the edges in to seal. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Download PDF version here: Australian Chicken, Leek and Mushroom PieTanya Watts