Recipe by: Niva Mohan
Source: Family Recipe
- 4 small bittergourds
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ Tbsp plain flour
- Oil to deep fry
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- Slice bittergourd finely into circles.
- Mix turmeric, chili powder and flour.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add bittergourd slices, a few at a time (in batches). Sprinkle the chili and turmeric into the frying pan to season the bittergourd. Be careful since it will splatter.
- Once bittergourd is brown in color remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Place on a plate with kitchen paper. Reserve.
- Keep frying the rest of the bittergourd slices in small batches.
- Chop onions, tomato and green chili and mix together with dressing. Add the bitter gourd fried slices.
- Serve immediately.
Note: the same salsa recipe can be used for plantains instead of bitter gourd.
Download PDF version here: Sri Lankan Bittergourd Salsa Niva Mohan