Recipe by: Niva Mohan
Source: Family recipe
- 2 cups white rice, washed
- 3-4 blue pea flowers soaked in 1/3 cups hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pandan leaf
- 3 stalks of long beans
- 1/2 torch ginger flower (bunga kantan)
- 10 leaves Vietnamese mint (laksa leaf)
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2-3 black (salted) eggs, washed, sliced
- 1/2 inch of lemongrass, white part only
- Bean sprouts (optional)
- Soak blue pea flowers in hot water for at least 2 hours and set aside.
- Mix rice in a rice cooker with the required amount of water and add in liquid from blue pea flowers. Add salt and pandan leaf. Knot the pandan leaf for easy removal.
- Cook the rice in rice cooker until fully cooked, then open lid of cooker and let rice cool.
- Slice finely the mint leaves, kaffir lime leaves, ginger flower and lemongrass. Cut the long beans into small rounds. Mix the mint, kaffir leaves, ginger flower, lemon grass and long beans together and set aside.
- To serve, mix rice with above ingredients just before eating or serve separately.
- Garnish with rice crackers, halved calamansi limes, chili paste (otional) and black (salted) egg slices. To be served as side dish to Chicken Rendang.
Download PDF version here: Malaysian Nasi Kerabu (Herbed Rice) Niva Mohan