Recipe by: Niva Mohan
Source: Chef Wan
Ingredients – Chicken
- 1.5 kg chicken, cut into 12 pieces
- 500 ml coconut milk (Santan Cair)
- 250 g desiccated coconut, roasted, pounded, (Kerisek Mutiara)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (Makrut, Daun Limau Purut)
- 2 turmeric leaves (Daun Kunyit), sliced into thin, narrow strips
- Salt and sugar, to taste
- Oil for wok cooking
Ingredients – Spice Paste
- 10 red chilies, seeds removed
- 15 dried chilies (Cili Kering), softened in hot water, drained
- 15 shallots (or 2 red onions), peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 candlenuts (Buah Keras, Kemiri)
- 8 lemongrass sticks (Serai), sliced
- 2 cm ginger, peeled
- 3 cm fresh turmeric (Kunyit), peeled
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (Makrut, Daun Limau Purut), sliced
- 10 bird’s eye chilies (Cili Padi) – optional
- Blend all the ingredients of the spice paste in a blender until smooth and homogeneous.
- In a wok, heat up oil and stir-fry the spice paste. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cover wok to avoid splatters.
- Add in chicken, coconut milk, and turmeric leaves. Mix well with the gravy (spice paste).
- Boil for 45 minutes, or until chicken becomes tender and the gravy thickens, or until oil surfaces.
- Add in the roasted, pounded desiccated coconut (Kerisik) and in the kaffir lime leaves.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Dish and garnish with finely sliced turmeric leaves.
- Serve hot, with plain rice or with Nasi Kerabu
Download PDF version here: Malaysian Chicken Rendang Niva Mohan