Recipe by: Christine Lee
- 180g (6.3 oz) Butter
- 200g (7 oz) Castor sugar
- 200g (7 oz) Full cream evaporated milk
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten with fork
- 100g (3.5 oz) Plain flour / All purpose flour
- 50g (1.7 oz) Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Rum (optional)
- Combine castor sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract/essence and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, remove from heat and keep warm.
- Add beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny).
- Heat up steamer.
- Lined and greased a 7 or 8-inch round baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.
- Cover the steamer and steam over medium heat for 45 mins.
- Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.
Download PDF version here: steamed-chocolate-cake