Recipe by: Christine Lee
Source: Cool Food by Murdoch Books
Serves: 6 – 8
- Oil, for cooking
- 6 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces, and boiled
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 30 grams/2/3 cup chives, chopped
- 250 grams/1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
- Add onion and cook over low heat for 40 minutes, or until soft and caramelised.
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Put potato, onion and chives in a large bowl and mix well.
- Put mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and sour cream in a separate bowl and whisk well.
- Pour dressing over salad and add bacon.
- Toss to mix.
For a halal version, replace the bacon with turkey bacon.
Download PDF version here: caramelised-potato-and-onion-salad