Recipe by: Gene Tan
Source: Adapted from www.kiddohut.com, http://www.wordpress.com, http://www.travelling-foodies.com
Serves: 5 – 8
- 500 gm of taro/yam (weight after de-skinned)
- 100 gm of pumpkin (weight after de-skinned)
- 5-6 Shallots for frying
- 100 ml Oil or Lard
- 1-2 Gingko Nuts per serving
- 200 gm Sugar
- 1 tsp Tapioca Flour/Starch
- Cut the yam and pumpkin into pieces and steamed it till soft. (About 20 mins.)
- Make some simple sugar syrup with 100ml water and then add the tapioca flour to thicken it. Use the sieve to remove any tapioca flour that has not dissolve and cool the sugar syrup.
- Mash up the yam while hot with a potato masher or fork.
- Add sugar to desire sweetness.
- Fry the shallots with low heat with the oil. Once the shallots turn a bit brown, remove the shallots and keep the oil in the pan.
- Put the yam paste in and fry it together with the oil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve the yam paste, with sugar syrup, pumpkins and gingko nuts on top.
Download PDF version here: chinese-yam-paste_gene-tan