Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
Source: adapted from a recipe from Amankila hotel (their restaurant) in Bali, Indonesia
Serves: 3 as a main course, 4 – 6 as a starter
Ingredients (Poached Chicken)
- 1 small chicken
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- A few kaffir lime leaves, torn
- A large pinch of salt
Ingredients (Green Mango Salsa)
- 1 green mango, diced small
- 1 large handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
Ingredients (Lime Dressing)
- 4 large limes, halved (total weight 200 g)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (twins) or 10 single leaves (5 g in total), chiffonade
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 large pinches of salt
- 1 large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 300 g shredded Poached Chicken (above)
- 150 g Green Mango Salsa (above), more to taste
- 150 ml Lime Dressing (above)
- 70 g baby spinach
- 2 large handfuls of sweet basil, torn
- 1 large red chilly, finely sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 lime, juice of
Instructions (Poached Chicken)
- Boil the chicken in a pot of water along with the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and salt for 15 minutes (see photo next page). Allow it to cool then shred into pieces. Measure out 300 g and set aside for the assembly of this salad; use any extras for another purpose.
Instructions (Green Mango Salsa – makes 210 g)
- Add all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.
Instructions (Lime Dressing – makes 250 ml / 1 cup or 210 g)
- Pan fry or grill the halved limes until they are browned and caramelized (see photo). Squeeze the juice and and pass through a sieve. You should get about 50 ml of lime juice.
- In a blender, add the caramelized lime juice, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper and blend for 1 minute.
- With the blender on the highest setting, pour in the oil very very slowly and continue to blend until the mixture is emulsified and the kaffir lime leaves are shredded to very small bits.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- In a large bowl, add all of the Salad ingredients (note you will need to measure out the Green Mango Salsa and the Lime Dressing as you will have left overs of both – I use all the Mango Salsa as I love it!) and toss well so that the Lime Dressing gets evenly distributed and everything gets mixed up very well.
- Add some of the extras of the Green Mango Salsa and/or Lime Dressing as per personal preference.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
Download PDF version here: indonesian-poached-lime-chicken-salad