Recipe by: Lorraine Graybill
Source: Causing a Stir, Dayton, OH Junior League, 2000
Walnut Oil Vinaigrette
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) walnut oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1120 ml (½ cup) dry white wine
- 6 large handfuls of mesclun salad
- 1 ripe Bartlett pear, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 35 g (1/3 cup) walnut pieces, toasted
- 230 g (8 oz) Blue cheese
To make vinaigrette – can be prepared up to three days ahead and refrigerated
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
- If making in advance, bring to room temperature and shake thoroughly before serving.
To make salad
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Add onion, sauté until golden brown.
- Add wine, simmer until liquid evaporates.
- Combine sautéed onion, mesclun, pear and apple in a bowl.
- Add enough vinaigrette to coat and toss. Place salad on serving plates.
- Top with walnuts and cheese.
Download PDF version here: american-fall-salad-lorraine-graybill