Recipe by: Lorraine Graybill
Source: Family recipe
- 1 ½ kg (~3 lb) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1,5L vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional garnish:
- 125 ml heavy cream
- Cut squash into 1 inch (2-1/2 cm) chunks.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove squash chunks with a slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pan. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Ladle soup into serving bowls.
- If using as a main dish, then garnish by whipping the heavy cream into stiff peaks. Place a dollop on each serving and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Download PDF version here: american-butternut-squash-soup-lorraine-graybill