Recipe by: Genny Le Calvez
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 10 – 12 (35 sates)
- 1 kg chicken breast
Spices to be blended (used to marinate)
- 6 garlic
- 6 shallot
- 3 tbspoon coriander seed
- 300 gram fried peanut
- 1 big chilly and 1 small (seeded if you don’t like spicy )
Not blended (to add on the marination)
- 1/2 lime juice
- 3 tbspoon oil
- 100 ml Thick Dark Indonesian Soya Sauce (sweet ) : “Kecap Manis” and few spoon more for coating during grilling (mixed with 2 spoon of oil and lime juice)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper ½ teaspoon
For coating (just before finishing the grilling)
- 1 tbspoon of cooking oil
- 2 tbspoon kecap manis
- ½ of lime juice
- Cut the chicken into pieces 1.5cm x 1cm.
- Marinate for few hours with half portion of the blended spices.
- Put into the bamboo skewer (about 4 pieces each).
- Coat the skewers with not-blended mixture (Kecap Manis, pepper and a pinch of salt (careful as Kecap manis contains salt ), few spoons of cooking oil and juice of 1 lime.
- Grill (best on charcoal or BBQ grill) or in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- 5 Minutes before they are cooked coat them with the mixture of 1 spoon of cooking oil, 2 spoon of kecap manis and ½ of lime juice.
If you like additional Peanut sauce to pour on the top of the grilled satay/Sate:
- Use the remaining peanut blend add 100 ML water then bring to boil.
- Stir well simmer for 5 minutes until it becomes a thick sauce.
- Add a pinch of brown sugar and lime juice.
- Serve the grill sate/satay with fried shallot on the top and peanut sauce (optional for those who love extra peanut sauce on the top).
Download PDF version here: indonesian-chicken-sate-genny-le-calvez