Recipe by: Genny Le Calvez
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 kg beef , cut in 5cm x 5 -6 cm pieces
- 1.5 litre coconut milk
Spices to be blended
- 250 gr shallot
- 100 gr garlic
- 200 gr big red chillies and small ones (seeded and use only big ones if you don’t like spicy)
- 4cm galangal peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Not blended (herbs)
- 4 salam leaf (Daun Salam)
- 2 lemon grass the white part
- 4 kaffir lime leaf
- 1 turmeric leaf (optional)
- 2 star anise
- Salt to taste
- Pepper ½ teaspoon
Note: Most of these herbs can be found in Geylang Serai Market, near Aljunied where they sell most of Malay/Indo ingredients.
- Bring to boil the coconut milk on medium heat while keep stirring it until reduce, thicken and oily, for about 1h – 1,5h.
- Then put the blended spices and stir well.
- Put cut beef and the herbs.
- Season with pepper and salt as per your taste.
- Continue to simmer on medium heat and keep stirring at all times until beef become tender and the sauce thicken well, and oil comes out from the coconut milk (another 1,5h).
- Note: It is very important to keep stirring especially the first 1,5h so that the coconut milk stays homogeneous (not “broken” apart)
Download PDF version here: indonesian-beef-rendang-genny-le-calvez