Recipe by: Genny Le Calvez
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 6 – 12
Ingredients (serves 6-12 people)
- 200 gram beansprout
- 250 gram (about 12 pieces ) long bean, thinly sliced
- 300 white cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot cut in julienne
- 1 medium cucumber (RAW) cut in dice seedless
Spices to be blended
- 8 cloves garlic
- 12 shallots
- 5 red big chilly (half seeded if you prefer mild)
- 1 small red chilly (omit if you don’t like spicy )
- 5 cm keampferia galangal (INDONESIAN : KENCUR ), can be replaced with ginger but half quantity
- 2 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tea spoon shrimp paste (optional, it enhance the taste of it)
- Galanga each about 4 cm : slice in 2 pieces and smashed
- 3 kaffir lime leaf slice thinly
- Salt to taste (1tbsp)
- 250 gr grated fresh coconut
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Brown sugar to taste (1tbsp)
- Fried shallot
- Thai Basil sprigs
- Slice all the veggies and blanche them (EXCEPT cucumber is Raw, deseeded and cut in dice ).
- Drain them very well.
- Blend garlic and keampferia galangal smoothly, the rest of the spices blend coarsely. Mix together.
- Roasted the fresh Coconut meat, grate it. Or to save time you can also buy already grated coconut.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, put the blended spice and fry for 3 minute till fragrant then put slices kaffir lime leaf and grated coconut, add salt and brown sugar to taste.
- Continue frying and stir well for another 3 -5 minutes until grated coconut and spices well blend together. Take out from stove.
- Put this fried coconut mixture on to the blanche veggies + raw cucumber, stir well so that all the veggies are well coated with grated coconut.
- Top with Thai basil and fried shallot.
- PS : Important not too over blanch the veggies, veggies should still be crunchy
Download PDF version here: indonesian-balinese-urap-genny-le-calvez