Recipe by: Simone Lee
Source: Adapted from http://www.thepioneerwoman.com
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 can Rotel Diced Green Chilies And Tomatoes (10 Ounce Can)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz. size) Whole Tomatoes
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (more If Needed)
- 1 tsp Cumin (more To Taste)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add rice and garlic. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn’t burn. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add Rotel and tomatoes. Stir to combine and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add broth and stir together. Add some kosher salt and cumin
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 additional minutes or until rice is done. Add more liquid as needed; rice shouldn’t be sticky.
- Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top. Serve immediately.
Download PDF version here: tex-mex-basic-mexican-rice-simone-lee