Recipe by: Magdalena Sanguinetti
Source: Family Recipe
Ingredients Roll Pastry
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 170 g caster sugar
- 4 Tbsp water
- 120 g sifted flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 350 g dulce de leche (also called milk jam)
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 50 g meringue nests, crushed
- 100 g vanilla ice cream
- Optional: icing sugar
Instructions – Roll Pastry
- Preheat oven to 200 C/390 F.
- Line a 33 cm x 40 cm baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, beat 4 egg yolks until color turns light yellow and add gradually 50% of the sugar amount. Add the water slowly to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the other 50% of sugar, the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Add this dry mixture to the egg yolks and sugar in the mixer, one tablespoon at a time. Set aside.
- Whisk 4 egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the roll dough.
- Spread roll dough evenly across the baking pan surface and bake for approximately 9-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove roll dough from oven and with parchment paper side up, place on a surface covered with cling film. Remove parchment paper. If shape of roll dough is not even or if edges are too brown, even it out by cutting with a bread knife.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix dulce de lechea with milk until smooth, to make it easier to spread. If dulce de leche is too stiff, add more milk. Avoid making it too liquid or else it will spill out of the roll.
- Cover the roll dough with dulce de leche, spreading evenly over it. Distribute crushed meringue evenly over the dulce de leche-covered surface.
- Cut the vanilla ice lengthwise in 2 cm x 2 cm thick bars and place one on the roll edge width-wise and roll the dough once, then add another ice cream bar and and roll, and continue until no more space left to close the roll (probably after the third ice cream bar).
- While rolling, make sure to tighten it gently from the edges to the center, to avoid having empty spaces. Be careful not to squeeze out the roll filling while you do this.
- Wrap in cling film and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, unwrap and cut 2-cm thick slices. Serve immediately.
Download PDF version here: uruguayan-roll-with-dulce-de-leche-magdalena-sanguinetti