Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 12 – 15
- ½ cup Calrose Rice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsps. corn flour
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 6 cups full cream milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of crushed hazelnuts (or other nuts)
- Ice cream to serve (optional)
- Wash the rice and place it in a saucepan. Add 1 ½ cups of water to cover it and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let the rice simmer till it is soft
- Put the milk in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the cooked rice, stir well and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and let it boil gently for 8-10 mins.
- Add sugar and stir and let it continue to boil for another 5-8 mins
- Whisk the corn flour with some water till it is smooth. While stirring the rice, gradually add the corn flour to the milk. Turn up the heat and continue cooking till the pudding is scalding.
- When the pudding thickens, add the vanilla and the whipping cream. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside about 2 cups of the pudding mixture. Fill small ovenproof cups or clay cups or disposable aluminum cups with the remaining hot pudding mixture. Leave a little space on the top of each cup.
- Beat the egg yolk. Add a Tbsp. of the hot pudding mixture to the egg while beating. Once done, add the egg to the mixture set aside (this will make sure that the egg doesn’t cook)
- Using a spoon, drizzle a small amount of the egg yolk mixture in the center of each dessert cup. Using the back of the spoon, use a light circular motion to swirl the egg yolk from the center to the edges so it spreads evenly over the top of each cup
- Bake the cups at 180 degrees C until the tops are nicely browned. Let the cups cool to room temperature and then put into the refrigerator for several hours before serving
- Top with the chopped nuts
- Serve with Vanilla ice cream.
Download PDF version here: turkish-baked-rice-pudding-sibel-cinar